As part of a broader World Bank Group effort to incorporate recent advances in the social and behavioral sciences into its projects and programs, and following upon the well-received World Development Report 2015: Mind, Society, and Behavior, the World Bank is recruiting an exceptional behavioral scientist to work in its new Behavioral Innovations Lab (BIL).
The goal of the Behavioral Innovations Lab is to use behavioral economics, social psychology, and related fields to make development interventions more effective. The BIL will help World Bank project teams, country programs, and partner governments incorporate behavioral and social insights into project design, project reviews, and policy advice; and conduct impact evaluations of interventions inspired by the social and behavioral sciences.
This is an exciting, new initiative with high-level support within the World Bank. It draws and builds upon related efforts around the world to marshal “behavioral insights” on behalf of public policy. Areas where the BIL may work include: using social motivations to reduce energy consumption and increase tax payments; activating social norms to improve child nutrition and reduce open defecation; lifting the aspirations of job-seekers in the formal and informal sectors; promoting road safety; and deploying nudges and reminders to help poor individuals save more, start businesses, and make healthier choices.
- PhD in Social Psychology, Organizational Psychology, Management Sciences, or a related field.
- At least one year of research experience in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise designing, managing, and analyzing randomized evaluations, field experiments in developing countries, and laboratory experiments.
- Strong entrepreneurial drive and strong interest in the use of evidence and impact evaluation in policymaking.
- Well-developed teamwork and collaborative abilities, and strong communication skills
- Willingness to travel frequently and remotely.
The World Bank Group offers a competitive compensation package. It is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV, and three references to Premi Rajan Raj: email@example.com