Research Scientist Job
Date: Sep 18, 2014
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Research Scientist (Job Number:608966)
The Federal Health Operation has an immediate opening for a full time Research Scientist I to support the Health and Behavioral Sciences Department at the Naval Health Research Center in San Diego, CA.
This position support a longitudinal survey and database research project to assess the health, readiness, and training of military medical personnel. The successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with Principal Investigators, analysts and subject matter experts to identify ways to answer complex mental and physical health questions with population-level military medical and personnel electronic records. The successful candidate will manage and support (1) the day-to-day operations of the survey administration effort and (2) the creation, cleaning, and management of a project-specific database. The successful candidate must be prepared to work independently to complete discrete tasks, with minimal supervision, but should also be comfortable working as part of a larger research team. The successful candidate will be responsible for completing tasking assigned by Principal Investigators, but will also be responsible for supervising and tasking project support personnel.
Besides the primary tasks of survey administration and database creation, the successful candidate will be prepared to support efforts and share lead responsibility for tasks across the full research project cycle, including, but not limited to: project conceptualization; proposal development and submission; project documentation and compliance (e.g., IRB protocol, data-sharing agreements, survey approval, etc.); data collection; data management; data analysis; presentation of results; and preparation of manuscripts. The successful applicant will be prepared to work independently as a representative of the research team at meetings, conferences, and other off-site commitments. The successful applicant will have demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills to successfully interact with a variety of people, including high-level military personnel. Applicant must communicate effectively, diplomatically, and professionally, in person, in writing, and on the phone.
The ideal candidate will possess strong verbal, written, and analytical skills; be organized and detail-orientated; demonstrate project management skills, including the ability to determine appropriate priorities and complete projects accurately, on-time, and within budget; able to take initiative, and work well independently and as part of a team.
- Master’s degree in relevant social science field (e.g., epidemiology, public health, psychology), or a Bachelor’s degree and significant work experience
- At least 5 years of experience supporting professional research projects with human subjects
- Demonstrated experience using SAS, SPSS, R, STATA, or other statistical packages
- Demonstrated experience using MS Office and EndNote
- Strong technical writing background
- Applied knowledge of univariate, bivariate and multivariate statistical tests/analysis
- Strong background in research methodology and research design
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people (including military leaders and military study participants)
- Master’s degree relevant social science field (e.g., epidemiology, public health, psychology) and at least 5 years professional research experience in a military medical lab or military research environment.
- Demonstrated experience presenting original research results at conferences or in written form
- Demonstrated project management capabilities, at least 2 years
- Demonstrated experience conducting research using the Military Health System Data Repository and military personnel records from DEERS and Defense Manpower Data Center
- Demonstrated experience preparing military research documents, including military data-sharing agreements and IRB protocols
Due to federal contract restrictions, candidate must be a U.S. citizen and able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
Primary Location: United States-CA-SAN DIEGO
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Job Segment: Scientific, Research Scientist, Engineer, Scientist, Engineering, Science, Research